(Adapted from NZ Beef and Lamb promotion)
- 6 lamb racks, frenched and fully trimmed (can be replaced with lamb steaks)
- Sea salt and freshly milled pepper
- Oil to sear
Season lamb and sear in hot oil until well browned. Place in a pre-heated oven at 180C and roast until medium rare (about 20 minutes) or cooked to your liking. Remove from oven and rest for 6-8 minutes.
Salad - Ingredients
* Hazelnuts and hazelnut oil can be replaced with slithered almonds and good quality olive or avocado oil.
- 3 Nashi
- 3 shallots peeled and finely sliced (or red onion)
- Little butter and sugar to sauté
- 1 c hazelnuts*, roasted, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ c hazelnut oil
- 6 portions of baby salad leaves
Peel and quarter the Nashi, removing core. Toss Nashi and shallots in a hot pan with a little butter and sugar until just caramelized. Cool, thinly slice and combine with shallots, hazelnuts and a little hazelnut oil. Season to taste and set aside.
Dressing - Ingredients
- 750ml Sauterne, reduced to 500ml
- 100g wholegrain mustard
- 125g preserved ginger
- 2Tbsp rice vinegar
- 125g salted butter
- Sea salt and freshly milled pepper to taste
Lightly warm the first 4 dressing ingredients and whisk in the butter. Slice the lamb racks and arrange in equal portions on serving plate. Toss the salad leaves through the Nashi and moisten with hazelnut oil. Arrange on serving plates with the lamb. Drizzle dressing on and around the salad.